Saturday, June 23, 2012

Amigurumi...

So...

Amigurumi.

Wikipedia defines it as:

Amigurumi (編みぐるみ?, lit. crocheted or knitted stuffed toy) is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll.[1]Amigurumi are typically animals, but can include artistic renderings or inanimate objects endowed with anthropomorphic features,[2] as is typical in Japanese culture.

I've never tried Amigurumi before today. Why? Gees, they looked tricky and difficult to crochet. I'm not a fan of a straight double-crochet stitch (so many stitches for so little result... a project grows a lot more when using treble stitch!) and all Amigurumi seem to be based in dc.

But then I found this site: Crafty Is Cool and their (free!) little monsters pattern.


 (image copyright: CraftyisCool.blogspot.com)

Aren't they ADORABLE!!
So.... I gave it a go. Looked pretty easy: just a little cylindrical shape.


OMG SO CUTE!!

I call them Mike & Sully - from Monsters Inc!

The one on the left has a felt eye, and the one on the right has googeley eyes. 

I have been instructed by my partner to make as many as I like, as he LOVES them!! (These already sit proudly next to his chair where he works!!)

And I've already made another cute little one to take to work and keep me company, but I'll show you him tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. For those alone, I'd consider learning how to crochet!

    ReplyDelete